Institut für Englische Philologie
Phone: +49 (0)89 2180-1465
For office hours, please visit the Anglistik department staff profiles.
Areas of interest
Language awareness / Noticing, Second language writing, New Media, Applied corpus linguistics, Qualitative research approach
Monika Geist studied to become a teacher of English and Music at the LMU Munich, where she also completed her PhD research on “Noticing in L2 writing: Problem-solving strategies and individual differences “ in 2013. From 2009 through 2013, she worked at the LMU Department for English Studies and the Language Center of the LMU. After parental leave, she has been working as a research assistant of Prof. Angela Hahn (Media in ELT and Applied Linguistics) since November 2016.
- Doing Research into L2 Speaking and Writing (Summer term 2019)
- Moodle courses for employees of the Department for English Studies
- Introduction to Linguistics (Winter 2011/12)
- Applied Linguistics (Summer 2012)
- Grundlagen der Fremdsprachendidaktik (Winter 2012/13, Winter 2013/14)
- Teaching Productive Skills (Summer 2013)
- Research Methodology (Winter 2016/17, Summer 2017, Winter 2017/18, Summer 2018)
- English language coach in "FLIP Englisch" (independent learning) at the Language Centre of the LMU (WiSe 2017/18)
- M. Formánková & A. Hahn (2010). Writing skills and language awareness: learner-driven use of corpora. Presentation at the "9th Teaching and Language Corpora" Conference in Brno, Czech Republic, 30 June – 03 July 2010.
- M. Formánková (2010). Sprachbewusstheit in Sekundarstufe I. Presentation at the "3. Bundeskongress des GMF 2010" in Augsburg, 16 – 18 September 2010.
- M. Formánková (2010). Language Awareness: Influences and Enhancement. Presentation and discussion at the "1. Sommerschule der DGFF", 27 September – 3 Oktober 2010.
- M. Geist (2011). Invited discussion participant at the "3. Kassel-Leipziger Methodentagung", Leipzig, 11 - 12 November 2011.
- M. Geist & A. Hahn (2018). The effect of collaborative writing on individual writing strategies. Presentation at the international conference "The Oral-Written Connection in the Learning of Second/Foreign Languages" in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain, 8 - 9 March 2018.
- M. Geist & A. Hahn (2012). "Using a corpus for written production: A classroom study." In: Thomas, J. & Boulton, A. (Eds.). (2012). Input, Process and Product: Developments in Teaching and Language Corpora. Brno: Masaryk University Press. pp. 123-135.
- M. Geist (2013). Noticing in L2 writing: Problem-solving strategies and individual differences. Dissertation, LMU München: Fakultät für Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften .
- M. Geist, (2017). "Noticing grammar in L2 writing and problem-solving strategies." Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 7(3), pp. 471-487.